A French Tourist Didn't Receive A Kind Welcome From A Russian Bear

Discussion in 'Non Fatal' started by Ivanchuk, Jul 11, 2017.

1. deviant2

deviant2 Drawing Blood

May 2, 2017
    ...the long road
    Love bears.
    This human is lucky.

2. Apocolips

Apocolips Drawing Blood

Jan 5, 2017
    Med. Student
    Texas
    Another reason to not leave the house now. Potential bears.

3. SpäceCädet

SpäceCädet Deathling

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Clinical Psychologist
    Portugal
    holy shit that really was an aggressive bear

4. Watcher76

Watcher76 Drawing Blood

Jul 22, 2017
    Male
    Critical Analyzer
    Texas
    Animals go for the face sometimes because it is soft and easy. A friend survived a bear attack when he was a kid (10-12 can't remember). He had to shoot the beast in it's head while his own head was in it's mouth being crushed. Had a dislocated jaw and you can still see scars all over his scalp. Not bad for a scared kid...

5. Living Dead

Living Dead Drawing Blood

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Just caged chimps being kept as pets even though they're sexually frustrated, socially neglected and five times stronger than a man. Okay Bobo, here's a banana... Bobo doesn't want a banana... He wants your face!

deluge71 likes this.
  6. Living Dead

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Our mountain lions are easier to live with than bears. They take cats and lately several local dogs that people let outside alone. Three times this year a mountain lion has gotten into homes, killing and taking a cat out of a bathroom (they both ran in the dog door) and twice through open doors, taking dogs right off the bed while people were in them... They rarely try for people, though. Bears would bother me more!

deluge71 likes this.
  7. Charon

Charon Death Addict

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    ΙΤ
    Greece
    There are certain dog breeds that give mountain lions, also known as puma or cougar, a run for their money. There are actual dogs that can eat mountain lions alive....

8. Living Dead

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Yes, Kuvasz dogs are kept and used down the road to protect sheep from mountain lions and coyotes. I had Rhodesian Ridgebacks, which are lion dogs, but in traditional use, didn't actually kill African Lions, but held them in place until hunters caught up and killed the lions.
    Llamas and donkeys are sometimes used to protect herds of sheep, too! They are protective of the herd and stand their ground, keeping livestock safe.
    When people here complain about losses of goats, sheep, and other stock to predators, the solutions isn't to kill the lions but to secure livestock securely in a barn or enclosure. The lions can easily make it over a seven or eight foot fence and kill and take the victim right back over to eat at leisure.
    I was just thirty feet away when a lion killed a cat a few months ago. It bothers me that some cat owners here won't take their cats inside at night, which brings the lions right into the area where people live. They will hunt whatever's easy, but barring cats and a few dogs, prefer deer, raccoons and even skunks...
    The big males here weigh up to 160 lbs. UC Santa Cruz has a study of them with collars on quite a few. We have several litters of three and four kittens in the area and a group of four that still hunt together, although the young ones are almost two, which is a bit odd. Mama might not have become pregnant last season so hasn't chased the young away yet...

9. Charon

Charon Death Addict

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    ΙΤ
    Greece
    Mountain lions can indeed reach up to 150-160 lbs, 30-inches tall at the shoulder but Dogo Argentinos (100 lbs) can take down a mountain lion if it's like 2 versus 1. Not to mention Boz dogs from Turkey (200 lbs - 40 inches tall) which have a huge head and jaws and can intimidate a mountain lion easily. They weigh as much as a jaguar and are fearless.
    Caucasian dogs are also massive and are never scared of any predator.

Living Dead likes this.
  10. deluge71

deluge71 Deathling

Jan 20, 2017
    Male
    Part-time transcriptionist. Full-time slacker.
    Alamance, North Carolina
    I used to live in the NC mountains (Asheville), and every spring I had at least one close encounter with a black bear. Due to excessive land development, they have gradually expanded their foraging range to include people's porches and backyards. Apparently my trash was a lot tastier than my neighbors', because they always came to my house first!

Glad to say I was never attacked, and I've since learned that they are a more docile species than grizzlies or polar bears. But the first time I opened my front door and discovered a 400-pound behemoth standing a foot in front of me? Let's just say I went through enough underwear to own stock in Fruit of the Loom.

11. Living Dead

Jul 3, 2017
    Female
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Here's a video of a younger mountain lion at my neighbors house last year.

deluge71 likes this.
  12. deluge71

deluge71 Deathling

Jan 20, 2017
    Male
    Part-time transcriptionist. Full-time slacker.
    Alamance, North Carolina
    Any animal that thinks nothing of attacking a raccoon gets my immediate respect. :eek:

Living Dead likes this.
  13. Certox

Certox Deathling

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    Student programmer
    France, Paris
    Wow his face looks like nothing I hope she recovered.