[Child Death] Belle Gunness...

Discussion in 'Photos' started by Airbornemama, May 13, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. Airbornemama

Airbornemama DA's Resident Trauma-Mama Staff Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Female
    Here, there and everywhere!
    Belle Gunness was born in Selbu, Norway in 1858, and emigrated to the United States about 1886. She married Mads Sorenson in 1893. They owned a Chicago store that only turned a profit after it burned and they collected the insurance. In 1900 Sorenson died of convulsions and Belle received about $8,000 from his life insurance.
    By 1902 Belle was in La Porte. On April Fool's Day of that year she married Peter Gunness. They worked a farm on McClung Road. Peter died after a coffee grinder fell from a shelf and hit him on the head. The insurance company reluctantly paid on his policy. Belle began advertising in Norwegian language newspapers, "Widow, with mortgaged farm, seeks marriage. Triflers need not apply."
    Apparently many answered her letters. Belle would introduce them as relatives. Belle's pretty, 18 year old niece, Jenny Olson, got suspicious because the suitors always left the farm during the night. Soon Jenny was away at school in California, according to Belle.
    Andrew Helgelein was the last to answer one of Belle's advertisements. She urged him to sell all he had, and then bring the cash to La Porte. For good measure she included a four leaf clover in her letter. He arrived with $3,000 in 1908.
    The lack of letters from Andrew prompted his brother, Asa, to write to Belle and inquire about the suitor's whereabouts. Belle's answers were insufficient and Asa came to LaPorte. He was too late.
    On the morning of April 28, 1908 the Gunness farmhouse burned. In the ashes were found the bodies of the Gunness children, and the headless body of a woman of a smaller stature than Belle's substantial size. Dental work, purported to be that of Belle, was found as well. When Asa arrived several days later he prompted the sheriff to investigate further. It was then that the full horror of the events at the Gunness farm began to emerge.
    Jenny Olson was discovered nearby. At least 12 other bodies were recovered, and some estimated that Belle had buried 40 men on the farm. Curious crowds, numbering in the thousands, visited the scene of the crime.
    Ray Lamphere, Belle's hired hand, was eventually charged with murder and arson. He was convicted only on the later charge. Before dying in prison, he maintained that Belle had escaped. For years afterwards there were numerous sightings of the murderess across the country, but none were confirmed.
    The farmhouse after it burned
    bg6.jpg
    belle-gunness-9.jpg
    belle-gunness-8.jpg
    belle-gunness-7.jpg belle-gunness-7.jpg
    belle-gunness-5.jpg
    belle-gunness-4.jpg
    These cars are from looky loo's who wanted a bird's eye view of the crime scene
    belle-gunness-6.jpg
    Belle as a young woman
    belle-gunness-3.jpg
    Her and her poor children
    belle-gunness-1.jpg .
    These are bones and evidence found in the ashes
    belle-gunness-31.jpg
    b1f21f69f3a9d8485f80ed7de6c4dcfe.jpg
    belle-gunness-33.jpg
    belle-gunness-32.jpg
    belle-gunness-34.jpg

belle-gunness-36.jpg
    belle-gunness-37.jpg
    belle-gunness-38.jpg
    belle-gunness-39.jpg
    Belle's false teeth and jewelry
    belle-gunness-40.jpg
    belle-gunness-41.jpg

Aglaeca, Rivet, Ravenna and 14 others like this.
  2. Kneon_Knight

Kneon_Knight Death Head

Apr 12, 2017
    Male
    Professor of Misanthropology at Arkham University
    Ohio
    This is the kind of thing I like to point out when radical feminists start carrying on about how women never, ever commit atrocious acts of violence. The rage it generates is absolutely delicious.

Aglaeca, Ravenna, Hoodlumboy and 5 others like this.
  3. Prophetic Heretic

Prophetic Heretic Follow me for notifications when I post. VIP

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    Machinist
    Canada
    Wicked post @Airbornemama !!
    I did some research on this case a while back. One thing that I remember is that Belles first husband "Mads" already had life insurance for $3500 but she convinced him to up the policy to a $5000 one. The 2 policies overlapped for only 1 day... the day Mads died (July 30-1900), hence the 8k payout [about $250,000 in today's economy]. Also, the man who "found" the teeth in the rubble was apparently seen dropping something from his vest pocket in the dirt right before he made the discovery. It was also determined that the teeth found had NOT been through a fire. This is a great piece of history and if proven, one of the beefier numbers of murders committed by a woman [around 40 I think].

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. StrangerBesideU

StrangerBesideU Wicked Clown

Feb 25, 2017
    Female
    Clown Queen of Crime
    Arkham Asylum
    Excellent post! There is still speculation as to whether that is really Belle's head or not. Thank you for sharing this.

5. Vael

Vael Death Head VIP

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Criminologist
    Spain
    I didn't know that story. Great post!

6. Squid Jones

Squid Jones El Moderador Staff Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    A glass house
  7. stalwart1

stalwart1 Death Head

Mar 27, 2017
    Male
    Styx
    The problem is that they're largely right. The amount of violent crime committed by women is just completely and utterly dwarfed by men.

I hate radical feminists too, but my repartee to that would be something like, "...so you're conceding men and women in the aggregate behave differently? Why is that okay here but misogynistic and sexist when someone points out the mathematical achievement gap between men and women, for example?"

8. elemental

elemental -- --- -.. . .-. .- - --- .-. Staff Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    U.S
    Interesting story.

Airbornemama likes this.
  9. Ivanchuk

Ivanchuk Death Addict VIP

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    Professionally Unemployed
    The Moon
  10. Alovesteal

Alovesteal DA's Resident Medical Guru

Feb 19, 2017
    Female
    Louisville, KY
    Damn. She was not a looker either. Must've blown them away with her writing skills

Zeus, trickynick and Squid Jones like this.
  11. Galgbacken

Galgbacken Ice Box

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    Rep for a major auto distributor
    Pittsburgh
    Another super classy set by @Airbornemama !!! This set along with the backstory is super bad ass!

Airbornemama likes this.
  12. trickynick

trickynick Death Head

Nov 15, 2016
    Male
    Bus driver
    West Virginia
    back then it was all about the hips Lola *chants* "its all in the hips"

Airbornemama and Alovesteal like this.
  13. Honest One

Honest One ETTAFUCKOUTAHE

Jul 2, 2016
    Female
    Retired early
    The states
    Belle skated with all the cash, that was a fuck load of money back then. Awesome thread @Airbornemama

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2017
  14. TrayBuck

TrayBuck Death Head

Mar 20, 2017
    Everywhere
    Never heard of this before thank you

Airbornemama likes this.
  15. Ravenna

Ravenna Death Head

Feb 21, 2017
    Female
    Professor of Forensic Psychiatry