Chris Cornell, Soundgarden and Audioslave Frontman, Dies at 52

Discussion in 'Sports, Music, Movies, Celebs, Entertainment, etc' started by Outlaw, May 18, 2017 at 5:23 AM.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw DA's Killer Cowboy Casanova Staff Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Chris Cornell, the singer whose band Soundgarden was one of the architects of grunge music, has died at 52.

Cornell died Wednesday night in Detroit. The death was “sudden and unexpected” and the singer’s family will be working closely with the medical examiner to determine the cause.

Soundgarden,which includes the guitarist Kim Thayil, the bassist Ben Shepherd and the drummer Matt Cameron, disbanded in 1997, but reunited in 2010 and performed regularly since then. The group played at the Fox Theater in Detroit on Wednesday night, and it was set to perform in Columbus, Ohio, on Friday at the Rock on the Range festival.

Cornell appeared to be active on social media in the hours before his death. A post on his twitter account on Wednesday announced that the group had arrived in Detroit, and a clip of the group’s 2012 release “By Crooked Steps” was posted to his official Facebook page hours before his death.

Cornell had admitted in interviews to struggling with drug use throughout his life. He described himself as a “daily drug user at 13,” who had quit by the time he turned 14.

After Soundgarden disbanded in 1997, Cornell returned to heavy drug use, describing himself as a “pioneer” in the abuse of the opiate OxyContin, and saying that he had gone to rehab.

Cornell released five solo albums during and after his time with Soundgarden.

In 2001, after Rage Against the Machine’s lead singer, Zack de la Rocha, left the group, Cornell and members of the band formed Audioslave. The group released three albums before announcing its split in 2007.

Chris Cornell.jpg

2. Maggot

Maggot DA's Compilation King VIP

Sep 27, 2016
    Male
    ...going back to Romford...
    This is sad news. First time I've been shocked by a famous death for a while.

3. Vael

Vael Death Head VIP

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Spain
  4. Airbornemama

Airbornemama DA's Resident Trauma-Mama Staff Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Female
    Here, there and everywhere!
    Oh wow, this totally bums me out. I heard Soundgarden for the very first time at Lalapallooza along with Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Cypress Hill and Rage against the Machine to name just a few. Sad day it is:(

5. Galgbacken

Galgbacken Death Head

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    united states
    This is so unbelievable sad. One of the first bands I really got into. I know he struggled on and off with drugs after the original disbanding of sound garden. Lets just hope he is in a better place

6. Squid Jones

Squid Jones The Goof VIP

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    A glass house
    Really? Fuck. This is the first time I've actually given a shit about a celeb death since Lemmy.

7. kgp

kgp Death Head

Mar 10, 2017
    Female
    MI
    Well shit. That's a bummer.
    I didn't know they were here. Fox Theater is 30 mins away from me.

8. Airbornemama

Airbornemama DA's Resident Trauma-Mama Staff Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Female
    Here, there and everywhere!
    I guess they are saying he committed suicide. His wife had a funny feeling and had a few friends go check on him and they kicked his door in and found him lying on the bathroom floor. Our local rock station KISW is talking about him and replaying interviews and his music all day long. He was fighting deep depression. Fans say his performance last night he was giving off a strange vibe. Sooooo upset about this, my heart is broken.:(

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 7:33 PM
  9. SicMonster666

SicMonster666 Death Head VIP

Jul 15, 2016
    Always liked the stuff he did when he was in Audioslave. I liked Soundgarden too.

10. BornDead

BornDead Death Head

Mar 20, 2017
    Male
    Shreveport, La.
    Ive always been a big Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog, and Audioslave fan.
    Sad news for rock fans everywhere. :-(

11. Galgbacken

Galgbacken Death Head

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    united states
    One of my favorite songs he did! Audio slave was good but I will never forget hearing like suicide or 4th of July for the very first time. Superunknown was a game changer for me

12. Galgbacken

Galgbacken Death Head

Jan 17, 2017
    Male
    united states
    So I want to revisit this right now. Suicide by hanging is what I understand to be the cause of death. I seriously will never be able to understand suicide. I just don't get the emotional problems they go though or have. He had everything anyone could have wanted. Rockstar, money, mansions, and yet still didn't find life worth living. I haven't been this upset about someone passing that I didn't know since Adam Yauch (MCA) from the Beastie Boys in 2012. This is absolutely horrible and just sucks. The grunge era was the best music to have blessed the rock scene since the 70's rockers. Fuck this sucks!

13. Prophetic Heretic

Prophetic Heretic Pull my finger. Staff Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    Machinist
    Canada
  14. Lunatic Puppy

Lunatic Puppy Death Head

May 2, 2017
    Female
    Germany
    Sad :( RIP
    Suicide of seemingly happy people - you can't look in people's souls/minds.

Cpaz33, RubyGloom, Galgbacken and 2 others like this.
  15. Prophetic Heretic

Prophetic Heretic Pull my finger. Staff Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    Machinist
    Canada
    Thank you @Outlaw . I heard aboot this on my way to work this morning and was gonna post aboot it as soon as I got in the door.

Galgbacken likes this.
  16. BlackRosePrincess3

BlackRosePrincess3 Drawing Blood

Apr 26, 2017
    Female
    United States
    This fucking crushed me when I heard about this. I am just besides myself. Chris was an amazing man I got the pleasure of going to several concerts he partook in and dammit this is just soul crushing to me. I just can't see him "offing" himself. An article I read that it was ruled Suicide by hanging. Fuck man... goes to show you we don't know what someone's inner demons are.

Attached Files:

17. BlackRosePrincess3

BlackRosePrincess3 Drawing Blood

Apr 26, 2017
    Female
    United States

rocking out to those groups in my teens. I loved his vocals only man I knew that could go from one extreme to the next with his voice.

Galgbacken and Prophetic Heretic like this.
  18. elemental

elemental Death Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Male
    U.S
    Soundgarden was good music to get trashed to.

Galgbacken likes this.