Dark Cinema: Horror, Noir, Thriller, etc.

Discussion in 'Sports, Music, Movies, Celebs, Entertainment, etc' started by PaulNewman, Jul 7, 2018.

1. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    If you know me as well as I know myself (and I hardly know myself), you would be well aware of my passion for all things dark. Particularly when it pertains to entertainment (cinema and literature, especially).

Two film genres that I adore, are "psychological horror" (the darkest, most sinister depths of human nature) and "neo-noir" (the moral ambiguity of human nature). Let's say that if PSYCHO or TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE are quintessential "psychological horror", then CHINATOWN or LA CONFIDENTIAL are quintessential "neo-noir". Although they are very different from each other in many regards, when they ARE merged together, a delicacy is produced (most of the time).

Here are some films sourced from both subgenres, that I believe are criminally overlooked and should appeal to a great number of DA users. Mostly because they deal with the worst vices that humanity has to offer: organized crime, serial murder, uncontrollable lust and greed, corruption, etc.
    Just take my word for it.

NEO-NOIR
    In Cold Blood (1966)
    After Dark My Sweet (1990)
    A Simple Plan (1998)
    The Hot Spot (1990)
    Phoenix (1998)
    Blood Simple (1984)
    Bad Lieutenant (1992)
    Bringing Out The Dead (1999)
    Affliction (1998)
    Black Rain (1989)
    Light Sleeper (1992)

PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR
    Joy Ride (2001)
    Nature Of The Beast (1995)
    Freeway Killer (2010)
    Eden Lake (2008)
    Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (1986)
    The Last House On The Left (1972 & 2009)
    The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007)
    You're Next (2011)
    Intensity (1997)
    Amber Alert (2012)
    Exhibit A (2007)

A few of those flicks excelled in various areas (acting, cinematography, etc) but miserably failed in at least one, which may account for the less-than-stellar box office performance, name recognition and/or reviews. But I can assure you that if you're into either subgenre, that you're going to find most of the aforementioned films to be satisfying and worth the watch.

Perfectcrime, Akasha35 and Vael like this.
  2. CuriouslyDead

CuriouslyDead Drawing Blood

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Las Vegas
    Affliction is one of my favorites. Nick Nolte was at the top of his game. I also appreciated Jame Coburn.

Akasha35 and PaulNewman like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Yeah. Very poignant and very disturbing, at the same time.

This film struck a chord with me. See, I was raised by a red-faced red-necked drunk bastard and his complicit, submissive wife. I’d be lying if I said he didn’t affect me in any way. Like him, I was quite the bar-hopper for a few years, and that’s partially why my ex-wifey cut the chord with me. Of course, I never laid a finger on her.

I see Glenn Whitehouse (James Coburn’s character) in my father, or at least partially. And as much as I refuse to admit it, Kelsey probably saw a little Wayne Whitehouse in me.

Akasha35 likes this.
  4. Vael

Vael Death Head

Apr 18, 2017
    Male
    Criminologist
    Spain
    A good selection of movies. I think I watched all of them

5. OP
    OP
    PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    If you did, then you probably have more time on my hands. Most of them are exceptionally well-done and disturbingly relationship. A few are marginally cheesy but highly entertaining.

I REALLY don’t have time to catch up with all of this year’s blockbusters and sleeper hits, but I have a soft spot for the dark, disturbing, grimy and brutal.

Akasha35 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    There ARE a few that I left off the list, because they can’t be pigeonholed into either category. But they’re of a similar tone. Dark, moody, realistic and/or disturbing.

Akasha35 likes this.
  7. CuriouslyDead

CuriouslyDead Drawing Blood

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Las Vegas
    I also was raised in a similar household. Alcoholic step father and alcoholic Mother. Both my sister and I were mentally abused and my Mother was physically abused. Not that I think this is good but I have to look at a positive side. This is what made me the man I am today. Lessons learned.

This film did reflect those years for me very well. Very strong acting as if they had all been through it before.

8. OP
    OP
    PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Some more suggestions.

11:14 (2003)
    RAMPAGE (1987)
    BULLY (2001)
    SHORT CUTS (1993)
    FOLLOWED (2015)
    THE COHASSET SNUFF FILM (2011)
    THE CRAIGSLIST KILLER (2011)
    NIGHT MOVES (1975)
    LOCKED IN (2017)
    THE CHINA LAKE MURDERS (1990)
    187 (1997)
    AN AMERICAN CRIME (2007)
    THE GIRL NEXT DOOR (2007)

It’s a random plethora of relatively obscure cinema (some went straight to television) that have one thing in common: dark subject matter.

Perfectcrime and Akasha35 like this.
  9. Perfectcrime

Perfectcrime Death Addict

May 31, 2017
    Female
    US
    Thanks for the list of great movies I've got somethig to do tonight. :)

PaulNewman likes this.