Libertarians to liberals: "Why can't we be friends?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Debate, Religion, etc' started by PaulNewman, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM.

1. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    We're your allies on halting NSA surveillance.
    We're your allies on ending the lengthy and costly War On Drugs.
    We're your allies on fighting for LGBT rights.
    We're your allies against the royally f-ed up for-profit prison system.
    We could march together in lockstep to collective victory. So why don't we?

Squid Jones likes this.
  2. elemental

elemental Death Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Male
    U.S
  3. Gringo

Gringo Drawing Blood

Mar 17, 2017
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Texas
    I've had this same thought lately too. I lean left on social issues and for the longest time fell pretty much in lock-step with Democrats mostly because I couldn't get past the religiosity of the right. That said, with this previous election I've found myself looking more at libertarians and wondering why they aren't more popular or get more attention.

4. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Yes, but we're not all single-issue voters here.
    I'm not too keen on the BS "gun-control" narrative perpetrated by some Democrats myself but when it gets to the point where only one issue will encourage or deter you from voting... it ain't right. You need to weigh out other variables.

5. Gringo

Gringo Drawing Blood

Mar 17, 2017
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Texas
    Even on this there's room for compromise. As someone who just a couple years ago was of the "why does the average citizen need a gun" mindset to someone who now owns multiple guns and am planning on getting my LTC in the next week or so, I can say minds can and do change.

6. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    You and I see eye-to-eye pretty much. I was, in a way, rooting for Bernie early on. Though I wasn't too fond of some of his more radical economic views, BUT he just seemed... progressive and fresh, and I generally support minimum wage increases and some of his more popular stances.
    I wound up voting for Gary Johnson, saw the insanity on the Republican side, saw the douchebaggery (is that a word?) on the Democrat side and found myself "stuck in the middle" (like that 70s song).

7. elemental

elemental Death Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Male
    U.S
    Though I'm a libertarian I'll never see eye to eye with the dems.
    Too many communists in their party that they let in.

Honest One likes this.
  8. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    I have a .45 acp revolver, that I don't put it into use. I'm no gun fetishist, what I am is of a pragmatic mindset. I don't aim for kneejerk reactions, I think and my thinking has led me to determine that there are many feasible alternatives to this "gun control" push, that peaked in popularity some 2-4 years ago (but thankfully seems to be winding down)

9. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    Good to see there are plenty of a libertarian mindset on here but this remark is a tad bit ignorant...
    Fighting Wall Street bail-outs and advocating against corporate greed and FOR economic populism doesn't equate to communism by any stretch.
    You look at a large bulk of the Democratic Party and they're centre-right fiscally. Obama was a corporate capitalist (not a free-market capitalist). Hillary is worse in that regard, and that's what turned me off her and the party in general. As for Sanders and Warren, they're maybe centre-left populist at best.

10. elemental

elemental Death Addict

Feb 3, 2017
    Male
    U.S
    Apparently you haven't talked any democrats yet who claim to be Marxists.

11. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    I talked to a few on online forums in the past year or so. All I'm stating is they're few and far in between, underrepresented on a state and federal level. You can rest your head, knowing that they've yet to inundate the mainstream political scene.

12. Honest One

Honest One Death Addict

Jul 2, 2016
    Female
    Retired early
    The states
    Democrats just piss me off, that's all I'll say.

13. PaulNewman

PaulNewman Death Head

Feb 7, 2017
    Male
    Pine Bluff, Arkansas
    That's understandable, we all have our differences. Democrats do irk me too these days, but my reasons may be different than yours. Maybe their viewpoints resonate with me, but their methods rub off the wrong way. And don't confuse political party with ideology. Bernie is a progressive, but he's no Democrat. They railroaded him. Partially why I'e come to distrust the party's core. I am a libertarian with a progressive bent, and would just as soon vote for a REP like Ron Paul before a Blue Dog DEM like Hillary but Bernie got my vote last time around.