Lyle P. Blanchard: Unarmed Navy Veteran is Shot Dead by a Cop

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Zeus, Apr 20, 2017.

Random Thread
  1. Zeus

Zeus Owner Staff Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Male
    Happened August 30, 2016 in Harker Heights, Texas, USA. The dash cam video was just released.

The victim was 59-year-old Navy veteran Lyle P. Blanchard. He was struck four times. Once in the left shoulder, once in the back of his left arm, one in the left upper chest (which tore through his right lung and heart), and once in the left chest.

The deputy who shot him is Cpl. Shane Geers with the Bell County Sheriff's Office. He was cleared of any wrongdoing.

Deputy Geers was pulling Blanchard for driving erratically.

The pursuit lasted about a mile and ended in Blanchard's driveway.

Attached Files:

• File size:
      12.9 MB
      Views:
    KKS, Squid Jones, Rivet and 7 others like this.
  2. what he as trying to reach when he got gunned down like that..? still not the brightest idea to do that when gun pointed at you..

crazy how the police always fear for their life even after the criminal is dead cold meat for 3 minutes, i mean even me by looking at that scene i can tell he was dead or wouldn't be able to do anything threatening with 4 bullet in his body at 59 years old 2 in the chest..

Rivet, Mega Death and Lydia like this.
  3. Alovesteal

Alovesteal DA's Resident Medical Guru

Feb 19, 2017
    Female
    Louisville, KY
    Adrenaline in a fight or flight situation knows no time.

4. Pappa Rabbi

Pappa Rabbi Pappa Rabbi

Mar 29, 2017
    Male
    No where
    Here lemme get out of the car after being chased by police and shove my hand in my pocket.

KKS, Rivet and tanjer1588 like this.
  5. stalwart1

stalwart1 Death Head

Mar 27, 2017
    Male
    Styx
    Black lives matter

6. tanjer1588

tanjer1588 Totally not a serial killer

May 11, 2016
    Male
    Truck Driver
    Washington State
    God what do you think is going to happen when you run from the cops, jump out of your car, then shove a hand in your pocket. I mean shit cops are getting shot just as offten as the people who pull guns on them. It's a very dangerous situation and when you show I'll intent like that you gonna get blown away. Idiot.

Squid Jones, Rivet and Dream Catcher like this.
  7. StrangerBesideU

StrangerBesideU Wicked Clown

Feb 25, 2017
    Female
    Clown Queen of Crime
    Arkham Asylum
    Fucking pigs...Some of them are just so fucked up. This really pisses me off!

tanjer1588 likes this.
  8. tanjer1588

tanjer1588 Totally not a serial killer

May 11, 2016
    Male
    Truck Driver
    Washington State
    Oh that song is fucking great

StrangerBesideU likes this.
  9. StrangerBesideU

Feb 25, 2017
    Female
    Clown Queen of Crime
    Arkham Asylum
    I know, right? I love it! Boom boom Piggy!!! :cool:

10. StrangerBesideU

Feb 25, 2017
    Female
    Clown Queen of Crime
    Arkham Asylum
    Here's another that I love that applies.

11. Honest One

Honest One ETTAFUCKOUTAHE

Jul 2, 2016
    Female
    Retired early
    The states
    Reach fer yer gun u get shot, yes cops do a lot of fucked up shit but remember the world would be chaos without them. They aren't all bad.

12. StrangerBesideU

Feb 25, 2017
    Female
    Clown Queen of Crime
    Arkham Asylum
    I totally agree with you, but I'm upset about the ones not reaching for guns who are killed instead of tazed or otherwise disabled.

13. Dark blonde Ashley Dawn

Dark blonde Ashley Dawn Death Head

Mar 4, 2017
    Illinois
    Usually I'm sticking up for the person being shot by the cop, but this was one time where I get it. He wasn't running away from him, he was coming towards him grabbing something out of his pocket fast. It wasn't some drawn out argument where there was opportunity to do something else. And in all the other video, the cop never checks on the person they shoot. Usually cuff them while they are dying, he seemed genuinely like that fucked him up. I don't think cops should be so trigger happy, and they should be held accountable when they use their guns. But I think this was a justified situation. Ok I'm done. Sorry for the rambling

14. Zaphoid42

Zaphoid42 We come in peace. Leave you in pieces.

Apr 2, 2017
    Male
    Industrial Sales
    Colorado
    Sorry, but in my opinion. You run from the cop for over a mile, you jump out and start reaching for anything in an erratic manner. You are asking for a negative outcome.

The suspect started this out by eluding police. Creating a suspicious situation. Not the police checking our an erratic driver.

Yes, there are bad police, doctors, lawyers, grandmothers, etc.

If you play with gas and matches and burn to death, it is not the fault of the gas or match makers.

15. Harry Balzak

Harry Balzak Deathling

Jul 27, 2016
    He was unarmed. police said Geers chased Blanchard when he saw him driving erratically, and that a “gun battle” followed the pursuit.
    No gun battle or exchange of fire takes place in the video. Blanchard appears to reach for something and then Geers takes him out. There’s that, plus the fact Geer’s bodycam wasn’t working, the lack of any discernible audio and some conflicting testimonies in the investigation.
    Deputy Geer is currently dealing with a federal civil lawsuit from Blanchard’s estate.
    Doesn't seem very cut and dry to me. Especially since they claimed there was a "gun battle", which is an obvious ploy to garner support from the public for the cop shooting him.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Rivet and Zeus like this.
  16. Zaphoid42

Zaphoid42 We come in peace. Leave you in pieces.

Apr 2, 2017
    Male
    Industrial Sales
    Colorado
    Geers was cleared of any criminal wrong doing by a Grand Jury in February. The pending case is a Civil case brought by the Estate.

It will be interesting to see how that goes.

redditmodsaregay, Rivet and Zeus like this.
  17. name

name nom nom nom VIP

Apr 22, 2017
    nunya damn
    I feared for my life is the mantra all cops are taught to say whenever they shoot someone.

18. Squid Jones

Squid Jones The Overseer Staff Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    A glass house
    Okay, juxtapose this police shooting with this one ( Police Release Dashcam of Philando Castile Shooting ), which I commented on earlier today. The one in the OP, I think, is perfectly justifiable and the other one is not. This fuckin' guy is driving like a maniac, leading the cops on a chase, and they have no idea what sort of weaponry, if any, he has at his disposal. They have no idea what this guy's intentions are but the fact that he just lead them on a high-speed chase would lead a reasonable person to assume he's not in a cooperative or docile mood. He stops, he's told to put his hands up but instead he reaches for something. At that point, I don't see how it's rational to expect the cop to sit there and see what the guy is about to do. And, as I've said before, forget about trying to shoot him in the leg or the arm or some shit like that. Our police aren't trained to do that. Once a cop makes the decision to draw and utilize his or her gun, you're going to be shot in the torso until you go down and are no loger perceived as a threat...which pretty much means until you're dead. Maybe keep that in mind before ever deciding to do what this guy did.

Compare that to the footage in the linked video. In that one, a man is stopped in a routine traffic stop because his brake light was out. He pulls over like he should. The cop asks for his license and insurance. He then calmly tells the officer that he has a gun, which he was within his rights to have. And as he reaches for his license, which the officer had asked him to produce for him, he's shot dead.

Two very different situations. But people tend to look at these "officer-involved shootings" as if they're all the same and then decide to either demonize all cops or demonize all people who are shot by cops.

Cereal_Killer likes this.
  19. Harry Balzak

Harry Balzak Deathling

Jul 27, 2016
    You are ignoring the fact that they lied about there being a "gun battle". He wasn't even armed. Why would they lie if the circumstances provide justification? "I'm scared" is not a good enough reason for civilians or even military personal in war zones, but it seems is always a good enough reason for a cop.
    I have seen gopro footage from war zones where troops take fire from a house, raid the house, and when they kick in the door the first thing they see is a man holding an AK, yet they STILL do not shoot him. They yell "DROP IT!!" and he does. These are soldiers who are trained to kill and are taking fire in an active combat zone, dealing with foreigners(not even their own countrymen), and they show 10X the restraint and professionalism as cops often do in America.

Also, if cops are too scared and can't handle their job without shooting people due to being terrified constantly, they can and SHOULD quit. They are not forced to be cops like soldiers are. A soldier is AWOL if he quits and is court-martialed. A cop is just an ex-cop if he quits, no consequences.
    What I find amazing is how many people defend questionable police actions that they would never defend from a civilian, but because it is a cop and they were "afraid" they are literally above the law. Absurd.

20. Squid Jones

Squid Jones The Overseer Staff Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Male
    A glass house
    I'm not ignoring the fact that anyone lied. I didn't know "they" said that. It doesn't say anything about them saying that in the OP, unless that's what the cop is saying in the video but, if that's the case, I can't make it out. Is that what he says in the video? If it is, in fact, true that "they" said that then you could say I'm ignorant to that fact but not that I'm ignoring it. I can't ignore something I'm unaware of.

I think I can say that you're ignoring the fact that police and military training are not the same though because I'd have a hard time believing you're unaware of that. This cop did what he was trained to do. I can find plenty of examples of police misconduct but, to me, this isn't one of them. * shrug *