Table Saw and finger--- not what you expect

Discussion in 'Videos' started by name, May 27, 2017.

1. name

name Newsroom Kitty om nom nom VIP

Apr 22, 2017
    nunya damn
  2. Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher Life is but a dream.

Oct 25, 2016
    Female
    Rocky Mountain High
    That's cool! That guy deserves a medal! My dad lost fingertips to saws and other construction stuff. Dangerous job. Thanks @name :)

3. OP
    OP
    name

name Newsroom Kitty om nom nom VIP

Apr 22, 2017
    nunya damn
    I saw that same article on the news looong ago, but never saw it applied to anything. Must have cost too much. I have also seen first hand (where I worked) a machine that could stop it's rotating blade faster than that, using modern programming and servo motors, and it did not cause damage to the machine itself.

4. Kneon_Knight

Kneon_Knight Drawing Blood

Apr 12, 2017
    Male
    Professor of Misanthropology at Arkham University
    Ohio
    "You are never going to try this at home, right?"

The very Idea, sir. As if...actually, I probably would seriously consider it. I've always wondered if the airbags in my car work, too.

5. Lunatic Puppy

Lunatic Puppy Retired Unicorn VIP

May 2, 2017
    Female
    Pizza Authority
    Germany
    That's amazing! I hope it becomes standard.

Cereal_Killer and Honest One like this.
  6. Honest One

Honest One ETTAFUCKOUTTAHEA

Jul 2, 2016
    Female
    Retired early
    The states
    Standard aka stupid proof...lol.
    I'd rather buy a new saw then loose a finger.

Cereal_Killer and Squid Jones like this.
  7. TrayBuck

TrayBuck Deathling

Mar 20, 2017
    Everywhere
    Very cool post man. Thanks for sharing this

Cereal_Killer and Squid Jones like this.
  8. Italianimport

Italianimport Drawing Blood VIP

May 29, 2017
    Female
    Engineering
    USofA
    Watched that one a couple times.. amazing!

9. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer The Kellogg's Stalker!

Mar 18, 2017
    Male
    Australia
    That's technology for you kids, it's amazing when it works. But when it doesn't then you have problems, still incredible that he has so much faith in it that he stuck his own finger in it.

10. Dipps MaGee

Dipps MaGee sexy boi-o

Apr 14, 2017
    Male
    Machine Operator
    United States
    Some of the comments on the video on youtube brought up some solid arguments and maybe complete bullshit. (I did no further research so what i say may not be true.)

But one person claimed he got a patent for the mechanism and he also tried to make it become a standard requirement on all machines. Which meant that since he has the rights to the idea, and if it was required that the machines needed to have it, he would have made big money off of that. Don't get me wrong, it is a really neat concept, and it appears to work.

Another person made the point that they needed to have "wet salty fingers and hot dogs" to get it to work, and I don't know about you, but with a table saw, it's usually used to cut wood. Cutting wood makes dust. That dust gets EVERYWHERE. So if you need to have wet salty fingers for it to work well, good luck, as you'll have "saw-dust fingers", which he just set wood isn't very conductive.

I don't know... I'm all for it though. If $60 is all it takes to repair it, rather than thousands of dollars for surgery, and if it was tweaked so you don't need wet salty fingers to trigger it, I'd get it.

11. Cereal_Killer

Cereal_Killer The Kellogg's Stalker!

Mar 18, 2017
    Male
    Australia
    Nah those are solid arguments mate, in fact in most workshops people usually wear gloves with those kinds of machines, especially when you're dealing with wood and metals so you don't get splinters.

Seems like a great idea but in practice would it work in the real world?

12. KKS

KKS Drawing Blood

Jun 1, 2017
    Female
    United States
    I still jerked and yelled nooooooooo.. Cool...

13. DraxTheAx

DraxTheAx Deathling

Aug 27, 2017
    Male
    Unemployed
    Right behind you.
    I was so scared haha I used to do some wood work. So it took me a minute to watch then i was like ok ok no fingers are lost.

14. Evilsmurf

Evilsmurf Death Head

Sep 19, 2017
    Male
    England london
    Thats cool

15. GrimmWilder

GrimmWilder Born Again Pagan,.,. VIP

Sep 7, 2017
    Male
    Cameltoe Pro.,,.
    The Great White North!
    I was taught to always use a push stick.....been working with saws all my life.....still have all ten digits,.,.., ,.
    [​IMG]

16. 11C1P

11C1P Death Head

Apr 6, 2018
    Male
    N.D.
    I saw that on a show a few years back. Why it isn't a mandatory device for all table saws is mind boggling. Don't have your seat belt on & you'll get a ticket, at least they've been mandatory in vehicles for over 40 years now. Have cannabis oil or smoke medical mj to alleviate pain or help glaucoma, toss you in the joint so fast it'll make your head spin. Invent something that could sayve thousands of fingers & hands, meh, who cares. Tell those no goodnick's in D.C. to pass a good law for a change. I do wonder though if there would be anyway to apply this tech to a skil saw, seems like it would be too big. But maybe band saws & lathes?