What is the difference between justice and revenge?

Discussion in 'Politics, Debate, Religion, etc' started by GrimClown, Sep 1, 2018.

1. GrimClown

GrimClown Drawing Blood

Feb 12, 2018
    Male
    USA
    I will say right off the bat that I don't believe in the concept of justice, or at least that there is a real difference. The only difference that I see is that the word "justice" has a positive connotation while "revenge" has a negative connotation, and yet they both mean the same thing: eye for an eye.
    It is also my observation that when people use the word "justice" they tend to delude themselves into thinking that the use of the word automatically makes them the good guys. After all, who could be against justice? It is in this manner that some of the worst atrocity's ever committed were committed in the name of "justice"
    In the Soviet Union people were forced to surrender their wealth, property, and sometimes lives, all because the rabble believed it was "injustice" for one person to have more than someone else. All this led to war, mass famine and death and the eventual collapse of the Soviet Union.
    I am not a hippy saying we should "forgive our enemy's". In fact I do not believe revenge to be an evil. By using the word vengeance we are not drunk from our moral superiority of being "defenders of justice". That is my position on this issue. I am curious what DA thinks about the issue. Do you believe as I do, that justice is merely revenge rebranded and authored by the state? Or is there some sort of element that makes the person seeking justice better than the person seeking revenge?

2. XSFG

XSFG Jester of Death Addict Staff Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Male
    NC
    I would say, that revenge clouds the mind and leads to arms and legs being chopped off while one is still alive where justice has established perimeters.

Bloody Irish likes this.
  3. Bloody Irish

Bloody Irish Death Head

Aug 19, 2018
    Male
    Roofer/Floorer
    Massachusetts
    Revenge is always personal.
    Justice is the consequences of your own actions/doing,
    To be used against you in either way.