World War One

Discussion in 'Combat Footage' started by DeathHand, Jan 31, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    DeathHand

DeathHand Demolition Style Hell Canadian Freak Staff Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Gore Hunter
    Ontario, Canada
    As with many battles fought during WW1, instead of photographs we have paintings that were made by men who were there. These are paintings by vets that show the ferocity of the battle and how it often came down to bayonets and hand-to-hand combat.

Set 2.

world-war-one-dh-111-paintings-battle-of-belleau-wood-9.jpg

world-war-one-dh-112-paintings-battle-of-belleau-wood-10.jpg

world-war-one-dh-113-paintings-battle-of-belleau-wood-11.jpg

4. Cemetery for US Marines that fell during the Battle of Belleau Wood, France.
    world-war-one-dh-114-american-cemetery-battle-of-belleau-wood-12.jpg

world-war-one-dh-115-french-announcement-battle-of-belleau-wood-13.jpg

6. Belleau Wood as it looked a few decades after the battle (date of photo unknown). Most of the war relics are now in a museum.
    world-war-one-dh-116-relics-at-belleau-date-unknown-battle-of-belleau-wood-14.jpg

2. elemental

elemental -- --- -.. . .-. .- - --- .-. Staff Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Male
    Retired
    U.S
    Thanks!
    That's where the Marines earned the name Devil Dog even though the Germans were really calling them Hell hounds.

3. OP
    OP
    DeathHand

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Gore Hunter
    Ontario, Canada
    Most researchers say the the term "Devil Dogs" is a myth and that the Germans did not call them that. The Germans did say that the Marines were amazing sharp-shooters and a bit "reckless" but that a term such as "Devil Dogs" wasn't something in their vocabulary at that time. It's mentioned somewhere on the Wiki page :).

Zeus and elemental like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    DeathHand

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Gore Hunter
    Ontario, Canada
    Set 21.

1. Group of dead French soldiers: hit by either artillery or gas.
    world-war-one-dh-98.jpg

2. An abandoned British tank.
    world-war-one-dh-99.jpg

3. Dead Scottish soldiers.
    world-war-one-dh-100.jpg

4. A French soldier posing with a human skull in a trench.
    world-war-one-dh-101.jpg

5. German soldiers likely taken out by artillery fire.
    world-war-one-dh-102.jpg

5. FoxVoxDK

FoxVoxDK Deathling VIP

Jul 11, 2017
    Male
    Denmark
    As an FYI, if you ever go to Belleau or any of the other sites of the larger trenches and surrounding "No Mans Lands"(you can find many sites dedicated to people who scour those areas for relics), you'll still find rifles, medals, coins, insignia's and trees that still speak of(and for) the dead.

If you happen to visit the sites, please, if you find items with full names on them, return them to the authorities, so they might find a rightful owner.

6. banan

banan Drawing Blood

Oct 24, 2017
    Male
    California
  7. UKfullofstooges

UKfullofstooges Death Head

Aug 22, 2017
    Female
    UK
    Brutal.. just mud and bombs in open spaces.. would be interesting to visit the locations of these european battles.. mad.. all that killing in open feilds. i wonder if they left loads of bodies there. must have i isuppose. the land will be tainted by the killing. super bad vibes

8. Shinigami

Shinigami Drawing Blood

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    Relational Database script writer
    Cowtown, OH USA
    Not a single bagpipe to seen in #1. 2. French Gunner - when the US of A first joined WW1 the French gave a lot of the machine guns pictured. And as expected, they were pieces of shit. Receivers not milled to the same specs, so a piece from one wouldn't fit another. Note the open magazine - easily clogged with debris, it'd lock up the gun 'till you cleared the breach.Total waste. The US of A actually had the BAR (later used in WW2) but didn't use it for fear the Germans would capture and reuse the technology

DeathHand likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    DeathHand

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Gore Hunter
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm not sure what year that photo of the Scots was taken. But as 1914-15 wore on they stopped sending pipers over the top with the rest of the men. At first the pipers (and drummers) terrified the Germans but then soon became a target and too many were getting killed. Men sent over as regimental pipers were assigned other duties - mainly, stretcher bearers (lol, just another target).

Although the States came into the war very late, I'm still surprised that they didn't have their own version of a mounted machine gun and instead had to rely on the French for them. Yes, they had the BAR at that time but that was no match against an MG-08/Maxim: it wasn't a rapid fire, belt fed weapon. I imagine that some US forces may have also ended up with British Lewis guns (at the time I would have taken that over a Bar) at various points towards the end of the war.

Thanks for the post - always great to hear comments like your's :).

Shinigami likes this.
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Drawing Blood

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    Cowtown, OH USA
    I don't blame them for not sending Pipers/Drummers. Smart move. It would have been cool if they played while everyone was advancing. Reminds me of: Agree 100% the BAR was no match for a MG-08. There were no squad level 'heavier' weapons to my knowledge at the time, so it could have been helpful.

11. Shinigami

Shinigami Drawing Blood

Oct 10, 2017
    Male
    Cowtown, OH USA
    There was the M1917 .30 Browning water cooled MG at the time. Don't know if they had enough #'s at the onset of hostilities (for the US); maybe they needed a fill in while they were being produced?

DeathHand likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    DeathHand

Mar 28, 2016
    Male
    Gore Hunter
    Ontario, Canada
    Ya, I don't recall seeing a WW1 photo of US troops using the Browning. But you could be right, maybe there weren't enough of them in production at the time: plus, along with troops and equipment, the US would have had to send these guns and ammo to France - just another burden, perhaps?

The War was almost over, the Germans were getting sacked, so maybe the US military figured that there no sense sending these guns over (and paying for the transport) at that stage.

Shinigami likes this.
  13. Wyntre

Wyntre Queen of DA Staff Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Female
    Philadelphia
    it funny- I know a lot about the second world war and the cold war, but there is much that I've overlooked about the first world war. Sometimes I forget that it too was a brutal experience also. Whats amazing to me is how back then, war was like a game of chess between gentleman. There were actually rules of engagement and even combat etiquette that everyone followed. That's because it was one world power against another. But now that we have nation states engaged with enemies that exist outside the goverment, such as Hezbollah, Taliban, Boko Haram, the Islamic State, and in the Western Hemisphere, we have groups like Las Zetas, the Mexican cartels, and El Sendero Luminoso in Peru in the 90's, our enemy exists outside of state borders. There are no longer the rules of engagement or respect for things like the Geneva Convention. Because to have rules, there needs to be players. And when it comes to terrorism and international crime syndicates, the shape of the players are so amorphous and supra-legal that the shape of engagement is entirely different from what War used to be.

14. stalwart1

stalwart1 Drawing Blood

Mar 27, 2017
    Male
    Styx
    I'd say it was an even more brutal experience for the military men. WWII killed more, for sure. But people forget that so much of that was because of the evolution of aerial assaults (bombing) and deliberate targeting of civilian populations. From a soldier's perspective, though, I'm sure life was generally a bit better in WWII than WWI. It's like 19th century warfare tactics being conducted with 20th century technology and the result was quite ugly.

The futility will forever resonate in the annals of history; when we see the dead in WWII, we knew that out of conflict emerged a pretty ordered world that has not, of yet, seen devastation close to that scale. When we see the dead in WWI, it seems like they died as part of a mere prelude to an even bigger conflict, which is sad. Of course that's not how they thought of it at the time, though.